Paul is a Director and Chartered Financial Planner and has been at Active since 2009.
Before joining Active, Paul had a long career at Yorkshire bank (19 years) where he learned his trade and worked his way up to Senior Financial Planner specialising in high net worth private and corporate clients. Committed to supporting clients with a variety of needs, Paul has worked consistently throughout his career to gain advanced qualifications in financial services. These higher level qualifications allow him to provide advice in more complex need areas.
Paul achieved the highly acclaimed ‘Chartered’ status in 2012, and since then has become a Fellow of the Personal Finance Society (PFS), the highest qualification awarded in our industry.
In 2013 Paul led the firm’s successful achievement of ‘Chartered’ status. The highly-coveted chartered status means we work to standards matched by only a tiny proportion of financial planning firms. Chartered firms must meet serious obligations, ensuring the advice, service and ongoing support we provide is the highest quality.
In 2020 Paul instrumented the firm’s adoption of the Personal Finance Society’s (PFS) Pension Transfer Gold standard. This is a voluntary code of professional standards based on principles of good practice in safeguarded and defined benefit pension transfer advice. It aims to raise consumer confidence in the industry and is designed to encourage firms to be open and transparent when supporting customers who are transferring their pensions.
A keen cyclist, Paul has taken part in a number of charity rides over the past few years, raising money for numerous good causes, including The Middlesbrough & Teesside Philanthropic Foundation (MTPF) of whom Active are patrons and The High Tide Foundation, where Paul was a trustee from 2017-2021.
Paul is an exceptionally experienced and knowledgeable Chartered Financial Planner who covers the whole range of financial planning. However, over the years he has built up a real specialism in high net worth investments and pensions, as well as inheritance tax planning and corporate financial planning.
Paul has also advised a number of the North East’s lottery winners.
Paul is primarily based in North East, but will often travel to meet clients all over the UK, including London and Glasgow.
– Senior Management and Supervision (AF6, 2016)
– Discretionary Investment Management (J10, 2016)
– Supervision in a regulated environment (JO7, 2015)
– Pension Planning (AF3, 2012)
– Financial Planning Process (AF5, 2012)
– Long Term Care Insurance (CF8, 2012)
– Pension Planning (J04, 2011)
– Pension Income Options (J05, 2011)
– Investment Principles & Risk (RO2, 2010)
– Equity Release (ER1, 2009)
– Personal Tax and Trust Planning (G10, 2003)
– Personal Financial Planning (G20, 2003)
– Business Financial Planning (G30, 2003)
– Certificate in Mortgage Advice (CeMAP, 1997)
– Certificate in Financial Advice (CeFA, 1996)